Car Toys - Badly Botched Car Audio Installation--2015 Rav4
I took my 2015 Rav4 into Car Toys on Aurora Ave North in Seattle for an installation of a Kenwood DDX593 receiver/monitor (no navigation), that I also bought from them online. The end result was a lot of unnecessary hacking and damage to the factory wiring, missing factory functionality, and very unprofessional workmanship. I bought that receiver especially because it was compatible with all the factory equipment and functionality on that vehicle, and I clearly expressed I wanted to retain the factory functionality. Good deal on the DDX receiver/head unit, but a disaster on the installation...
Their install techs did not bother to do even basic research or trace down any wiring, and spent over 9 total hours in labor charges over two appointments guessing, experimenting, and hacking away. My first appointment resulted in the factory camera being claimed to not be compatible, and the steering wheel controls non functional other than the basic volume buttons. The factory backup camera was also now non functional, so of course they sold me their after market one which they claimed would work.
The manager offered me a huge discount on the labor and parts at cost to correct the above. I accepted--big mistake. My second appointment to correct this resulted in no real progress and me deciding to have their work evaluated by a professional custom car audio shop. They were horrified at what they found and even took pictures of it for me as they found it (attached). Wires left bare, many hacked and spliced poorly, a connector left unconnected and hanging, bundles not secured and jammed hard into spaces, and a dangerous lack of proper secured spot bundling resulting in low hanging wires dangerously close to the gas pedal and kick panel. They left that part just high enough so I could not see it from a sitting position, unless I got down and looked. But it certainly might have caused an accident getting tangled in my foot or leg had that come loose and dropped.
The manager then offered to refund all of the charges after I showed him my evidence and wrote a detailed Email. But he could not reimburse me for the cost to correct the shoddy work and unnecessary damage and incorrect harnesses. The end result was I had to pay over $1000 in labor charges over 2 visits to a true professional custom car audio shop to re solder a lot of the factory wiring, trace the wiring, make the proper connections where necessary, and do the research to match the right steering wheel adapter unit, connectors and harnesses to get all the factory functionality back again using the same DDX Kenwood unit, including restoring the factory rear view camera.
I would not recommend anyone take any vehicle that has a factory backup camera and steering wheel controls to Car Toys if you want to keep them intact and not have their inexperienced techs *** up your factory wiring and overcharge you for guesswork labor unnecessarily.
I intend to file a claim with their liability insurance company for reimbursement and am seriously considering legal action. I will update this if successful.
More Review Details
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
|Diversity of Products or Services|
|Value for money|
|Product or Service Quality|
What I liked
What I disliked
- Poor workmanship
- Lack of installation knowledge
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "I installed a set of four Pulstar plugs on my Saturn VUE. After a few months of improved gas mileage my vehicle began having momentary bouts of lost power. After..."
- "Will not make good or return any calls concerning $ 3080.00 worth of Chroming that is defective. Also has taken additional parts, approx. $ 300.00 from me, no response. Promised several..."
- "I purchased a 2013 Ford Flex at Price Ford in Port Angeles, WA and before I even had paid my first car payment, I had to have the car towed..."
- "There is no customer care.. I love to shop on Zara, just like there cloths ... this is my first time that have to deal with their customer care... turn..."
- "Months of wasted time!!! I'm so pissed right now that I could spit nails. The launch of our new business has now been put on hold indefinitely due to the..."
- "When the quote representative/salesperson called, they proceeded to ask questions about my prospective purchase and still refused to give a comparative estimate of various plans! They claimed that I had..."
- "I own a 1992 Nissan Maxima, had it since 1992. Five here ago, I returned home after after six month. The car was stored in my garage. It would not..."
- "Green line appeared 1 year after purchase. I contacted VIZIO and told them that purchase was a year ago and may be out of warranty. They assured me that even..."
- "On November 13, 2016 I purchased 3 sets of chairs in 2 different transactions on their website. These chairs are only sold and come pre-packaged as pairs. The website very..."