I took my 2015 Rav4 into Car Toys on Aurora Ave North in Seattle for an installation of a Kenwood DDX593 receiver/monitor (no navigation), that I also bought from them online. The end result was a lot of unnecessary hacking and damage to the factory wiring, missing factory functionality, and very unprofessional workmanship. I bought that receiver especially because it was compatible with all the factory equipment and functionality on that vehicle, and I clearly expressed I wanted to retain the factory functionality. Good deal on the DDX receiver/head unit, but a disaster on the installation...
Their install techs did not bother to do even basic research or trace down any wiring, and spent over 9 total hours in labor charges over two appointments guessing, experimenting, and hacking away. My first appointment resulted in the factory camera being claimed to not be compatible, and the steering wheel controls non functional other than the basic volume buttons. The factory backup camera was also now non functional, so of course they sold me their after market one which they claimed would work.
The manager offered me a huge discount on the labor and parts at cost to correct the above. I accepted--big mistake. My second appointment to correct this resulted in no real progress and me deciding to have their work evaluated by a professional custom car audio shop. They were horrified at what they found and even took pictures of it for me as they found it (attached). Wires left bare, many hacked and spliced poorly, a connector left unconnected and hanging, bundles not secured and jammed hard into spaces, and a dangerous lack of proper secured spot bundling resulting in low hanging wires dangerously close to the gas pedal and kick panel. They left that part just high enough so I could not see it from a sitting position, unless I got down and looked. But it certainly might have caused an accident getting tangled in my foot or leg had that come loose and dropped.
The manager then offered to refund all of the charges after I showed him my evidence and wrote a detailed Email. But he could not reimburse me for the cost to correct the shoddy work and unnecessary damage and incorrect harnesses. The end result was I had to pay over $1000 in labor charges over 2 visits to a true professional custom car audio shop to re solder a lot of the factory wiring, trace the wiring, make the proper connections where necessary, and do the research to match the right steering wheel adapter unit, connectors and harnesses to get all the factory functionality back again using the same DDX Kenwood unit, including restoring the factory rear view camera.
I would not recommend anyone take any vehicle that has a factory backup camera and steering wheel controls to Car Toys if you want to keep them intact and not have their inexperienced techs *** up your factory wiring and overcharge you for guesswork labor unnecessarily.
I intend to file a claim with their liability insurance company for reimbursement and am seriously considering legal action. I will update this if successful.
More Review Details
|Diversity of Products or Services|
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
|Product or Service Quality|
|Value for money|
What I liked
What I disliked
- Poor workmanship
- Lack of installation knowledge
You May Also Like
- "They advertise convertible tops that are junk and don't respond to warranty claims or refunds. Their phone number listed with eBay goes to a Dominos Pizza. They scammed me..."
- "We bought 4 BendPak auto lifts. The city demanded we get a permit for them. The inspector from the L.A. Dept. of Bldg. and Safety refused to issue..."
- "Iknow i got mine today my rack doesn't even fit! i followed instructions verywell because i wanna make sure before i drive my car with that thing on my roof..."
- "We purchased two mid-century end tables with drawers to use as night stands approximately 8 months ago. When we received them we noticed a strong paint fume smell to..."
- "I must be naive! Ground shipping more exensive than expedited shipping..odd. Return policy..odd but still pressed the purchase button. Receive goods..ivory wedding shoes with rosettes and rhinestones...."
- "I purchased an ALEKO trolling motor for my 12' boat. So far, it has performed well without any problem. Just one issue: They advertise on Amazon that..."
- "Your store in NJ did honor the $ 300.00 gift card which was given to me from Chicago store for purchasing the $ 6000 worth of furniture last year and..."
- "A coach USA bus almost killed my family and several in the cars around us today around 2pm eastbound on I-64 in Newport News Virginia. Driving way too fast for..."
- "Not much to say (there 4 pictures taken on the same visit say it all). I have been consistently disappointed in the quality of veggies and produce at the..."